My current and upcoming backup plan
Today was Backup Day. Every few months a friend1 calls me asking for help when a laptop dies, or goes missing with all their photos. Trying to recover data from a damaged or lost drive is expensive or imposible.
For a fraction of the cost you can have a pretty bulletproof plan:
- Time Machine: 1 TB external drive I keep at work
- Backblaze: backups everything.
- iCloud Photo library: in my work MacBook Pro and MacBook server at home.
- Google Photos: sync app running from Macbook at home.
- Use Arq to upload photos to a third online location (Dropbox since I’m already paying for 1TB plan).
- A second external drive to alternate with the work drive.
Sometimes more than once for the same person — looking at you Shaggy.↩︎