Arq saves me a headache
Setting up a new MacBook — more in this soon — and I hastily deleted a symlink that uploads my work MBP Desktop to Dropbox. A minute too late I realized the delete action was propagating to the new Mac. Really bad planning on my part.
Since I use the Desktop as a sort of current projects folder, this wasn’t my brightest moment. I knew in the back of my mind that everything was going to be alright since I have a trifecta of tools: Dropbox, Backblaze and Arq.
Initially I went to Dropbox to restore the folder, but since I had deleted the folder on both Mac’s, not everything was there. I then logged into Backblaze, and while waiting for the data restore selection — it can take a while — I checked out how easy the Arq restore process was. Mind blown.
In all honesty, I run Arq as the last line of defense — in case all of the above fails. I was surprised how easy it was to restore the file. Also, how fast the 900MB downloaded from Dropbox 1
Everything is now restored and my stupidity forgiven.
I am left wondering about my backup plans cocktail. The current setup does give peace of mind — specially when thinking about my wife’s MacBook. But maybe Backblaze plus Arq might be an overkill when I’m trying to cut down on expenses.
I upload my Arq Backup to an unsynch Dropbox folder.↩︎